Re: oil pressure switch tee problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oil pressure switch tee problem
From: mah16@cornell.edu (Marie A Harkins)
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 21:42:17 -0500
>Why is it that when I added in a Tee for the oil pressure switch...  the
>light goes on when oil pressure is good and the light goes off when the
>oil pressure is too low?  FYI, the oil pressure switch is of the 3-wire
>variety and I put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on the other part of
>the tee.
>
>-jon

The 3-prong unit is a single-pole double-throw switch. You must have mixed
up the wires. Check a diagram if you have one or try all combinations until
its right. I don't think you can hurt anything if they are wrong. Or better
yet, If you a have a multi-meter figure out which wire goes to the light
and which one is hot and which terminals on the switch are normally
closed/open. Hope that makes sense.
On a related note, I put in a tee for a gauge a bunch of years ago on a
1500 engine and ended up later rebuilding it (including a reground crank)
after the nipple broke between the engine and the tee, all the oil went
shooting out, and I was too stupid to even look at my nifty gauge while the
strange new knocking sounds were occurring. So much for cheap pipe
fittings.

Bill ('75/'72 Spit/6)  mah16@cornell.edu