Re: TR-6 as an everyday car?

To: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Subject: Re: TR-6 as an everyday car?
From: Tom Gentry <TGENTR@wgc.woodward.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 95 10:20:00 PDT
Encoding: 51 TEXT
<<from Mark.
<<dehaasm@napc-1.navy.mil

<<First off rewire the car.  The old Lucas electrics *will* give you
<<problems especially that one morning you are running late for work
<<and the car wont start or it stalls out on the way.

I haven't rewired mine and the wiring is fine aside from the occasional
connector that needs cleaning. (knocking on my wood dash now)

<<Keep brake fluid with you.  The hydraulic clutch may leak and the
<<master cylinder reservoir leaks as well.

If these are leaking you have problems you need to attend to.  As these cars
are around 25 years old I would replace ALL the hydraulic seals.  The
closest I've come to not making it home was a blown clutch slave seal while
visiting Road America.  I made it home by starting the car in gear and
shifting without a clutch.  I don't want to think what would happen if a
brake seal blew out.

<<Check your front suspension.  Even with the use of Nyloc nuts the
<<front suspension loosens up.

What specific bolts are you having trouble with?  I haven't encountered any
mysteriously loosening bolts...

<<The rear
<<suspension is not real tough and be careful not to overstress it if
<<you haven't recently rebuilt it.

What specifically are you referring to?  Just curious since my only problem
in that area was a broken diff. mount (fixed by a local welder for $15).

<<Oh yeah the front steering rack will loosen up too.  Make sure to update
<<the mounts with items from Moss et al.

If you have any friends who are machinists, it is very easy to make aluminum
block type steering rack mounts.  Be sure to use grade 8 fasteners, and be
ready for quicker steering, but with more "kick-back".

Tom Gentry
72 TR-6 OD
Rockford, IL
TGENTR@WGC.WOODWARD.COM