Re: TR-6 as an everyday car?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR-6 as an everyday car?
From: DEHAASM@NAPC-1.NAVY.MIL
Date: Thu 28 Sep 95 09:13:53-EDT
Hi J,

I've driven my TR6 as an everyday driver last year and here are some of
my recommendations;

First off rewire the car.  The old Lucas electrics *will* give you
problems especially that one morning you are running late for work
and the car wont start or it stalls out on the way.
The electronic ignition system from Crane is also a good retro fit.

Keep brake fluid with you.  The hydraulic clutch may leak and the
master cylinder reservoir leaks as well.

Check your front suspension.  Even with the use of Nyloc nuts the
front suspension loosens up.  A good thing to do is use medium to
high strength loctite on the nyloc nuts.

On a daily driver check *all* fluids on a weekly to bi-weekly basis.
Everything from oil, to trans fluid to rear diff fluid.  Checking rear
diff fluid is the most difficult.

Other than that I've not encountered any major problems with the TR6
as a daily driver.  The engine is solid as well as the trans.  The rear
suspension is not real tough and be careful not to overstress it if
you haven't recently rebuilt it.

Oh yeah the front steering rack will loosen up too.  Make sure to update
the mounts with items from Moss et al.

Mark.
dehaasm@napc-1.navy.mil