Re: TR-6 as an everyday car?

To: Jess@cris.com
Subject: Re: TR-6 as an everyday car?
From: Gregory Urban <gurban1@gl.umbc.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 09:51:42 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I used a TR-6 as an everyday car for 2 years. My biggest suggestion is
carry a nice tool set in the trunk, and have an extra set of tune-up
parts, 2 extra oil filters, and a spare alternator at all times.  It aslo
helps to have a full set of replacement fuses.  If you don't have a top
w/a zip-out rear window (or the current one leaks badly), get one.

I drove 45 minutes each way for much of the time it was my daily driver.
There were days that I actually put the top up ;-)  I think TN will be
easier than where I was, FL.  It is too hot to drive with the top down
for normal people (but what normal person owns a LBC).

This daily driver thing worked great until the waterpump failed.  This
was not too bad, but as a poor grad student on unemployment who was
trying to nurse the car through the last month of a semester, I has no $$
to fix the problem.  Bye bye head gasket.  Then a piston exploded.

In hindsight, I would do it all again (but I would fix the water pump).
Also, I am contemplating selling the GTI and using the TR-6 as the daily
driver again.  But, my commute to work is a three block walk.  If you
drive more than 1/2 hour or 20 miles each way, the TR-6 might not be the
best idea.