Re: TR-6 as an everyday car?

To: Jess@cris.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR-6 as an everyday car?
From: ingate@horizon.com (Shane Ingate)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 95 08:52:38 PDT
        >hoping that someone out there has experience using a TR6 as an everyday
        >car and can pass along their impressions of this idea.  Aside from the
        >absolutely huge amount of potential oil lost into the environement --
        >which makes the EPA shiver in their boots (I believe it is protocal
that
        >all letters have at least one cheap oil leak or Lucas reference) --

Along with the other responses I see on the list, I absolutely agree
that Triumphs make great everyday drivers.

I commute 50 miles each day in my '74 TR6.  No problems (touch wood!).
I am the 4th owner of a Santa Barbara car, which has not been restored,
so she is not the prettiest of cars (faded paint, interior needs work,
rusted rockers, rattles that obviate the need for a radio, etc, etc).
In the past 6 years I have owned her, I have been more attentive to
mechanicals; replaced all hoses, brakes, clutch (not a Laycock :( ),
rebuilt carbs, shocks, cooling, a horn that goes "toot toot" on every
sharp left-hander (most embarassing), repaired tonneau plus minor
cosmetics.  One day all this will be fixed.  Oh, did I mention the
mysteries of Lucas wiring?

I agree too that some attentiveness to her needs are required; as
such, she has never once stopped (except during a hill-climb meet when
the 2 gallons of gas on board was'nt enough to get to the gas pickup).

In Sth Calif I have no problems with cold weather; hot or cold, she
starts 1st crank.  I believe that regular use of a car keeps it
running.  Irregular use becomes a vicious circle of unreliability.
In winter I use a tonneau, but I gotta fix the heater!

Finally, I do not agree with your concerns for the environment; I have
read in many independent publications that 90% of the pollution caused
by a car in its entire lifetime was caused during its manufacture.
Purchasing a new car is the worst thing you can do for the
environment.  I am sensitive to the environment, so I have a car that
passes Cal. smog (I'll send you the numbers if you wish; she is cleaner
that most 80's cars), and she never uses any oil between its 3000 mile
changes.

Do it.  Recycle.  Have fun.  Enjoy!

Shane Ingate
ingate@horizon.com
http://horizon.horizon.com/personnel/ingate/links.html

74 TR6 (daily driver)
80 Honda Accord (Surf Mobile)
72 Pantera (I always wanted to be a fighter-pilot)
76 Moto Guzzi LeMans (orig owner and 160,000 miles on!).