Re: Stuck bolt

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stuck bolt
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 17:40:08 -0500
At 07:46 AM 1/10/00 -0800, Tim Mullen wrote:

>Help.
>
>I'm trying to take the crankshaft bolt out my 93 Honda accord.
>
>It's not really corroded (not rusty...), but I can't get it to come loose.
>
>I've tried a 600 ft.lb impact wrench, a breaker bar with cheater bar (hard
to hold the flywheel fro turning with the engine in the car - I'm just
trying to change the timing belts...) and heating the bolt with my propane
torch.  Any suggestions?  Try a 3/4 impact wrench? -Where do I rent one?
or do I rent (can you?) an oxy/acetylene torch to get it really hot?

Tim,

  Welcome to the club!!!  I've had that problem with every Honda I've touched.
It is doable with a 1/2" impact wrench.  But mine wouldn't touch it.  What I
did, was to run by a shop where I knew a mechanic.  Asked him if he'd hit it
with his impact wrench.  No problem, I broke right loose.  Then I was able
to undo it when I got home.  I also tipped the fellow a coke and a cup of
coffee.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org