Re: Stuck bolt

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stuck bolt
From: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 16:14:25 -0500
L Smith wrote:
> Funny that you mention the starter motor trick but when I called the local
> Toyota shop asking for suggestions on how to get the crank bolt out of my
> Supra, thats what the shop mechanic suggested.  I never did try it because I
> managed to get it with a long breaker bar but its a good idea.  One thing it
> does is alleviate the problem of locking up the engine to keep it from
> turning as torque is applied to the bolt.

One other trick I've heard which might not be as effective is this:

Put the car in fifth, have someone stand on the brake.  Then go to it
with the breaker bar.  The transmission, in fifth gear, will have a
minimum torque multiplication and the brakes should easily hold the
motor from turning.

For what it's worth, I've heard concerns about this technique and the
torque being placed on the crankshaft.  Just something to consider,
but I think most cranks can handle that type of torque, even a Honda
motor that never sees any real torque in its lifetime. ;)

Hey, I've got an Integra GS-R, I can say that. :)

Oh, one more thing.  There was mention of the impact gun being rated
at 600ft-lbs at 125psi.  I'm guessing you have the Ingersoll-Rand 2131
or the Craftsman rebadge of the same gun, which is rated for that
torque at 90psi.  Using that same gun on my 'teg, I had some trouble
until I dialed the regulator up from 90psi (normal air tool pressure)
to 125psi.  Banged it right off, and I turned the regulator back down.

cmh
--
Chris Heerschap - UNIX Systems Mutilator/Postmaster