Re: Stuck bolt

To: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stuck bolt
From: Steven Trovato <trovato@computer.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 21:55:21 -0500
Tim,

I know you said about three times now that it's not a left hand thread, but
I would make 110% sure of that before proceeding.  A call to the dealer
should answer that for sure.  Even if it is not, I would hit it with the
air impact wrench in both directions.  A couple of impacts in the "tighten"
direction might help break some of that bond.  Last, this is no miracle
cure, but I've found that a shot of air tool oil into the wrench inlet
right before use increases the torque of the tool a bit.  It may only add a
few foot pounds, but if it's the difference between stuck and unstuck,
that's good enough!  It's cheap and easy enough to try.  Good luck!

-Steve
trovato@computer.net

At 07:46 AM 1/10/00 -0800, Tim Mullen wrote:

>Help.
>
>I'm trying to take the crankshaft bolt out my 93 Honda accord.
>
>It's not really corroded (not rusty...), but I can't get it to come loose.
>
>I've tried a 600 ft.lb impact wrench, a breaker bar with cheater bar (hard
to hold the flywheel fro turning with the engine in the car - I'm just
trying to change the timing belts...) and heating the bolt with my propane
torch.  Any suggestions?  Try a 3/4 impact wrench? -Where do I rent one?
or do I rent (can you?) an oxy/acetylene torch to get it really hot?