Re: Stuck bolt

To: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Subject: Re: Stuck bolt
From: paradox@DEPAUW.EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 08:23:36 -0500 (EST)

Richard Beels asked:

> How would you use a cold chisel?  To do what?

about my earlier

> >(And just for the record) Another technique, which sounds inapplicable in
> >this case, is to use a cold chisel (a favorite technique of Fiat
> >mechanics around here in the days when there were Fiat mechanics around
> >here). There wasn't room on 850's for air tools with the engine in situ.
> >The bolts were good for a couple of removals, then had to be replaced.

To remove the bolt holding the pulley to the crankshaft.  Place the chisel
at just the appropriate spot along a flat, hold it at just the appropriate
angle, and give it a good whack.  Done properly, the bolt loosened. Done
improperly, you had at best a gouged flat and a worst a hex head with five
corners, a mistake that could, obviously, be repeated a limited number of
times.

I actually removed crankshaft bolts that way a few times, and got pretty
good at it, too, in my impecunious student days when I didn't even own a
socket of the appropriate size.

Lou Smogor