New Toys

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, JagPub <pub@jag-lovers.org>
Subject: New Toys
From: John Napoli <jgn@li.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 18:06:02 -0500 (EST)
This weekend a friend of a friend of a friend gave me a Hunter wheel
balancer and a Sun diagnostic computer.  Seems this guy is a mechanic at a
M-B dealership, and he had taken these units home when the dealership got
new ones.  They proved too big for his home shop, and so I got them for
taking them away.  :)

The wheel balancer is something that I expect to have use for, as I
already have a tire machine, and it is pretty much good to go.

The diagnostic computer is another issue, I'm not so sure about it.  It
certainly will need some electronic TLC to get it working again.  My
question is whether it is worth it.

This is one of those huge dual-screen, oscilloscope-plus-CRT display
thingies.  I've always had the impression that these devices make you go
through extra steps for little benefit, as in helping to find the one bad
ignition wire when you were going to replace them all anyway.

Has anyone had enough experience with these things to let me know whether
it will be worth it to go through the trouble of getting it working
properly?

Thanks,

John