Re: Stuck bolt

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stuck bolt
From: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 09:41:20 -0800
Eric responded with:

> It's not left-hand threaded is it?
>
> I've done that.

I was worried about that, but I searched the manual (Honda's
are pretty detailed) and couldn't find any mention of it being
left handed.

Les responded with:

> No, it's not left handed.
> I've had good luck with a wrench and a big hammer. Blows to the wrench can
> help break the bolt loose.
> You really don't want to heat up the crank.

Good to confirm that it's not left handed...

I've tried a hand impact in addition to the air impact.  The bolt just laughs...
I often use a hammer on a wrench for other things, but didn't try it on this
since the crank is free to rotate.  Besides, I figure that if it won't loosen
with
the impact, the hammer and wrench wouldn't do it...   But it's worth a try.

And you are right, I'm not thrilled about heating the end of the crank.  In
this case, I can't even see the end of the crank - have to get the bolt out
(large flange on the bolt), then the pulley, then the timing belt cover, then
two layers of timing belts (one for the cam, the other for the balance shafts).

I'm thinking that if I have to go with a torch, I'd heat the bolt and the
flange,
and then try the impact some more...

And Jack responded with:

> Join the club. What type of air compressor are you using? From past
> experience, you need and industrial compressor. Something in the lines of
> 175 psi, 60-80 gallon capacity.

Been in this club before, but always managed to get out...
Just my 15+ year old one - 2 HP, 25 gallon tank, 125 PSI.  The gun's rated
for 600 ft-lbs at 125 PSI.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, any one got any more??

Of course, I could just put it all back together, and take it to a Honda dealer
and pay them to change the belts, but something about that just doesn't sit
right with me...   8-)

Tim Mullen