Re: Major Armchair engineering A SuperCharged Roadster??

To: dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Major Armchair engineering A SuperCharged Roadster??
From: DemonTSi@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 02:37:14 EDT
In a message dated 05/10/2000 3:21:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu writes:

>   I am estimating that I can make the cold air induction system for about
>   100 bucks
>   Vortech wants  $1495 jsut for the supercharger?!?!? No mounts no inter
>  cooler no nothing!?!?! These guys are crazy!! I will have to keep looking..
> but
>  I am afraid that they may be my only choice.
>   So maybe I could do this for ~2000 bucks!?!?!  That is crazy...but
>  what-the-hey.. aren't signing bonus's meant to be spent on stuff like
this??

You've got the basic jist of the whole system down, and if you're really into
DIY stuff, which I know you are, you can acquire all the necessary parts for
a lot less than you think. Used blowers can be had for about 500-700 bucks.
I've seen factory rebuilt units go for about that much too... just gotta keep
your eyes open. You've also gotta remember all the little stuff needed when
undertaking a project such as this: high-flow fuel pump, upg ignition, etc...
If this were my supercharger project (and I have tossed around the idea
before going with the SR20), the one thing I would want to do though, is
switch to fuel injection. I'm not too much a fan of pressurizing carbs in a
forced induction application, so EFI would be the way for me. And don't worry
too much about spending mucho $$ to fortify the motor for boost...as long as
you keep it at low, sane levels, and don't skimp on the fuel delivery and
ignition, the stock motor should be able to handle things...really.
Hey, go turbo!  :)  WE CAN DO IT, DAN!!

Van
- http://members.xoom.com/BADROC