Re: Major Armchair engineering A SuperCharged Roadster??

To: ronday@home.com (Ronnie Day)
Subject: Re: Major Armchair engineering A SuperCharged Roadster??
From: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 16:25:47 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Ron,

> IMHO, you MIGHT get the major parts you'd need to put something like this
> together for around $2K, but I'd budget $8K to $10K total to do it right,
> seriously. If you want it to work well and stay together, you'd need
> machine work by someone like Dave Rebello. You'd probably need to o-ring
> the block, then there'd be custom forged pistons at probably $125-$150
> each and maybe custom rods, too.
        I know that I have not really thought all that hard about it.. but..
Why would I want to o-ring the block?? It seemed to me that the U-20 was
overbuilt enough that you would not need to do any strengthening?? Don't
most people consider 10psi pretty minimal boost??.
        Why the forged pistons and custom rods??  Good condition stock
pieces not up to it??

> You might call Corky Bell (Bell Engineering in San Antonio) and get his
> read on this idea. Back in the early '70s he had a shop here in Arlington
> that specialized in high performance work and (I think) he ran a 2000 in
> SCCA. Since then he's moved south and specializes in supercharging
> current smaller cars like Sports Compact Car's MR-2 a year or two ago.
        Maybe I will just to see what he says.

> Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm just saying that
> I think it'll cost a whole lot more than $2K to do it right.
        Hmm I will have to chekc into this somemore.. maybe even get up
outta my arm chair...I could maybe swing 2000ish.....    but 8000 no way
Irene is going to go for that...
                Daniel 69 2000
                SF CA