Re: Major Armchair engineering A SuperCharged Roadster??

To: "Jim Tyler" <toplessdatsun@ga.prestige.net>,
Subject: Re: Major Armchair engineering A SuperCharged Roadster??
From: "Mike Kerr" <mikekerr@innercite.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 10:29:20 -0700
On my turbo U20 I run cast pistons and no "O" rings and pushes 17 lbs. boost
and I have had no problems with the pistons or the head gasket. But I do
make sure there is no detonation, but even forged pistons will melt under
the heat of detonation. in fact the melting point of a forged piston is not
that much greater than a cast piston it will take just a few seconds more
for it to melt...

Rpms puts more strain on a motor's internal parts than Boost ( a motor
turning 8000 rpms has more load on it's internal parts , than a motor turn
6000 rpms with 14lbs boost ) and  with boost you don't need to rev the motor
over 6000 to make HP gains above a normal aspirated motor turn 8000..
Running 14 lbs. boost on a U20 will give you well over 225 HP
a super charger though will suck up some of that HP to drive it , that is
why turbos are better they run off of wasted exhaust gas heat. 50% of the
heat energy created in a engine is pumped out the exhaust pipe.

Mike Kerr
Restoration Products
3730 todrob Ln.
Placerville, CA 95667