Re: Major Armchair engineering A SuperCharged Roadster??

To: "Daniel Neuman" <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>,
Subject: Re: Major Armchair engineering A SuperCharged Roadster??
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 17:57:19 -0500
>       So maybe I could do this for ~2000 bucks!?!?!  That is crazy...but
>what-the-hey.. aren't signing bonus's meant to be spent on stuff like this??

IMHO, you MIGHT get the major parts you'd need to put something like this
together for around $2K, but I'd budget $8K to $10K total to do it right,
seriously. If you want it to work well and stay together, you'd need
machine work by someone like Dave Rebello. You'd probably need to o-ring
the block, then there'd be custom forged pistons at probably $125-$150
each and maybe custom rods, too.

You might call Corky Bell (Bell Engineering in San Antonio) and get his
read on this idea. Back in the early '70s he had a shop here in Arlington
that specialized in high performance work and (I think) he ran a 2000 in
SCCA. Since then he's moved south and specializes in supercharging
current smaller cars like Sports Compact Car's MR-2 a year or two ago.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm just saying that
I think it'll cost a whole lot more than $2K to do it right.

FWIW,
Ron

Ronnie Day
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)