Re: Good news/bad news

To: rkriggs@riggs.b30.ingr.com (Kevin Riggs)
Subject: Re: Good news/bad news
From: tjhiggin@alpine.b17a.ingr.com (T.J. Higgins)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 93 13:01:44 CDT
Kevin Riggs writes:
> Good news and bad news, folks...
>
> Along the way I spotted
> a gorgeous E-type convertible I'd never seen here before (mental note to
> find out whose it is).

Was this in the b30 parking lot?  If so, then I don't know.  Bill Case
has a restored E-type convertible, but he works in b11.  It's
conceivable that he could have been visiting b30.  BTW, his car will
be in our Father's Day show at Madison Square Mall June 18-20.  I'll
be sending out more info about the show next week.

> I immediately pulled onto the shoulder and coasted to a stop.  Hmmm,
> maybe I'm out of gas after all.  I breathe deep, engage the starter
> (clickety-clickety-click) and the car fires right up.  I engage reverse
> and creep back to the access road.  After about 200 yards the car dies.
> I wait maybe 10 seconds and try again.  I get about 100 yards and
> realize I'm headed for an intersection I really ought not to cross going
> backwards...

I would have paid to see this!

> I believe that my problem is electrical in nature.

My first thought was that your fool pump had gone south, but that
doesn't explain why the starter is acting so funny.  Since you don't
hear the pump when you switch the key on (but before you start the
engine), and the starter sounds kind of funny, I'd suspect the
battery.  Without the engine running, both these devices are driven by
the battery.  I'd also guess that the short bursts are fuel
starvation.  The pump is running, but at reduced capacity due to the
bad battery.  The engine gets enough fuel to idle, or drive for a
couple hundred yards, but not enough to drive for an extended
distance.

Take your battery to any auto parts store (AutoZone, etc.) and have
them test it.  It's easy, free, and will diagnose (or eliminate from
conseration) the suspect battery.

> Now it's your turn.  Help me please!  I'd love to get the car running
> again this weekend, but I have various other projects planned (not to
> worry, T.J., there's still plenty of time...).

Don't even think about missing your deadline.  The wrath of my S.O. is
to be avoided at all costs!  [Kevin is building some aerobics step-
benches for my wife's students.]

So, what do I win for diagnosing your problem from my office?  :^)

BTW, if you need help getting home tonight, don't hesitate to call.
I'll even tow your car home.  You DO carry a tow rope in the boot,
don't you?

--
T.J. Higgins     | tjhiggin@ingr.com         | (205) 730-7922
Intergraph Corp. | Mapping Sciences Division | Huntsville, AL, USA