Re: So here's my plan

To: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: So here's my plan
From: lupienj@wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 93 14:12:14 EDT
> there wasn't enough room to fit a wrench on the nylocks nuts.  Second,
> the washers I used where made of plain steel and have rusted badly since
> they were installed.
> So here's my plan now that I again have access to this area:  I'm going
> to replace the rusted plain steel washers with stainless and replace the
> existing plated nylocks nuts with stainless nylocks nuts.

What about using aluminum washers? That wouldn't corrode any faster than
the body, and would bend to fit the curvature of the body in that area.

> What I would
> like to do is solder the nuts to the washers and then to epoxy the
> nut/washer combinations to the underside of the body aluminum.

Glue seems like a better choice than solder for this application.
Another choice I've tried is spot-welding the nuts onto the backing,
using a mig welder. This was less than satisfactory, due to the nut
getting pretty hot. It wasn't nyloc, though, and I just put the bolt
in with thread locker after...

> other question is how well will the epoxy hold since it will be
> subjected to road vibrations and some stress.  How well will it
> withstand the torque of screwing studs in and out of the nylocks nuts.
> Even if the new studs remain new looking, I'll want to be able to remove
> them without pulling the gas tank when I get around to painting the car.

If you are serious about painting the car "sometime soon", you may not
want to use epoxy after all. Perhaps a more removeable kind of glue
would be in order - something you can take off by heating it gently
with a propane flame, perhaps?

--
---
John R. Lupien