Re: Good News/Bad News

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Good News/Bad News
From: jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Randell Jesup)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 93 16:44:22 EDT
[ TR6 dieing, restarting, dieing again, repeat ]

>I believe that my problem is electrical in nature.  The short bursts of
>normal running remind me of a bad coil---but I didn't check mine to see
>if it's hot.  In any case, it only has a few thousand miles on it, and
>the points, resistor, plugs, rotor, and cap have fewer than that.

        The symptoms are _classic_ symptoms of a blocked fuel filter.  When
you let it sit, fuel slowly gets through, and it will start again.  Leave it
long enough, and you can drive it for a while (perhaps) before it starts dieing
again.  Absolutely dead-on classic symptoms.  The funny noises are probably
the electric fuel pump trying to pump/pull through the clogged filter.

        I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago in my TR6.  Driving to
a birthday party, twisty back road, and all of a sudden on a long uphill
stretch it starts losing power, and stalls.  Still coasting up, hit the starter
and it starts, goes for a few seconds, stalls.  Repeat as needed to the top of
the hill and the Inn.  Leaving, it runs fine all the way home, until the big
hill I live on, and dies as it gets to the top.  Restart, use full throttle,
dies again.  Coast longer and it runs longer.  As expected, I replaced the
filter and all was well.  Probably you picked up some sediment when you filled
it up - they probably had just had a fuel delivery and there's crud in the
tank.  In my case, it was the lowest I'd had the fuel tank this spring,
after replacing the filter last fall shortly before non-convertible season
started.

        Randell Jesup, '70 TR6 (with about 1000+ miles already this summer,
with hardly a problem.)