Good news/bad news

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Good news/bad news
From: rkriggs@riggs.b30.ingr.com (Kevin Riggs)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 93 11:07:44 CDT
Good news and bad news, folks.  The good news is for all of you; it's
time for another puzzler for the accumulated net wisdom, and this time
it's for all the Triumph (yeah!) gurus.  The bad news is that *my* '72
TR6 daily driver is the subject of this episode :^(

Background:

Since my engine rebuild during the course of the last 12 months, the TR6
has become my daily driver.  It's stock, with the following pertinent
modifications: high-compression head, Kent Fast Road cam (something like
a Triumph S2), Allison hot coil (I forget which model), and an electric
fuel pump.  I commute about 25 miles each day, and I've put about 2K
miles on the car since the engine rebuild.

I drove to work this morning, stopped and got a full tank of 93 octane
BP gas, and continued on to the office without incident until I pulled
into my parking spot.  Rather than idling lumpily as it is wont to do,
the car died.  I restarted the car, and the first thing I noticed is
that the starter made a rapid clicking sound---much like a solenoid
makes when the battery is low---*as it engaged and started the car*.
Weird.  But the car started, and after blipping the throttle a few
times, idled normally.  I lifted the bonnet as it idled, looking for
sparks, loose wires, whatever.  I saw nothing unusual after a cursory
glance around the engine compartment.  I shut the bonnet, turned off the
ignition and started my day.

A short while ago I decided to go out and buy the Muddy Waters boxed
set, and that's where our adventure begins.

Symptoms:

I turned on the ignition and did not hear the fuel pump.  I turned the
ignition off and on, listening more carefully, trying to filter out
background noises.  I never heard the fuel pump, but what the heck, I'm
in the mood for an adventure, so I engaged the starter.  The starter
again made the curious clicking sound as it otherwise normally performed
its intended function.  Adventurous, yes, foolhardy, no, I drove around
the parking lot a couple of times, planning to run out of gas there
rather than on the road, if that was imminent.  Along the way I spotted
a gorgeous E-type convertible I'd never seen here before (mental note to
find out whose it is).  With nothing untoward so far, I pulled out of
the lot, drove the short distance (< 1/4-mile) to the highway on-ramp,
and in fourth gear, began accelerating into the merging lane when the
engine began sputtering.

I immediately pulled onto the shoulder and coasted to a stop.  Hmmm,
maybe I'm out of gas after all.  I breathe deep, engage the starter
(clickety-clickety-click) and the car fires right up.  I engage reverse
and creep back to the access road.  After about 200 yards the car dies.
I wait maybe 10 seconds and try again.  I get about 100 yards and
realize I'm headed for an intersection I really ought not to cross going
backwards, take my foot off the gas, and let the car die.  Another 10
seconds, and I start up again, make a U-turn, and drive down the
shoulder about another hundred yards before the car dies well and truly.
I don't know if I'm out of gas or if an electrical gremlin has
possession of my vehicle; but it would sure be nice to get just one more
hundred yards out of her so that I can leave her in my parking lot.  So
I pull out the choke, hoping to get all the gas I can.  Now I have to
cross 4 lanes to pull back into my office parking lot.  When the coast
is clear, I start up one more time.  The engine races until I give back
some choke, and I manage to sputter across the road and coast somewhere
close to my accustomed parking spot.

In true lbc fashion, my TR6 has once again staggered to a safe location
for whatever repairs are required.

I believe that my problem is electrical in nature.  The short bursts of
normal running remind me of a bad coil---but I didn't check mine to see
if it's hot.  In any case, it only has a few thousand miles on it, and
the points, resistor, plugs, rotor, and cap have fewer than that.

For all you ammeter fans out there, mine yielded no clues that I could
discern at any point in this adventure.

Now it's your turn.  Help me please!  I'd love to get the car running
again this weekend, but I have various other projects planned (not to
worry, T.J., there's still plenty of time...).

Respectfully,

Kevin Riggs
Intergraph Corporation                               TEL: (205) 730-3074
Mailstop: GD3000                                     FAX: (205) 730-3453
Huntsville, AL  35894-0001                    rkriggs@riggs.b30.ingr.com