starter and clutch woes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: starter and clutch woes
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 93 12:09:42 -0400
        This is not directly LBC related, but hopefully these mechanical
questions are of general interest.

        I was working on a friends 911 turbo (perhaps it is properly
called a 930, since it has the functional whale tail).  They're all
glorified Volkswagons in my book.  But I must say that when you are
cruising about 60 mph in third and you floor it, you get the very
surprising result of 120 mph before you can get head back off the
headrest. WOW.  I've driven in a lot of fast cars (I have a friend
who worked for car and driver), but this was pretty impressive.  I'm
sure the car was heavily modified.

        Anyway, the first problem occurred when trying to start it
after sitting all winter.  He heard a loud pop when turning the engine
over and the starter quit working.  Later I arrived and we bump started
the car.  While doing this I heard a loud clack from the starter and it
has been working ever since.  I told him it sounded like the starter
was somehow partially engaged and we released it.  Now I'm not so sure.
Could he have fried a portion of the starter windings and have a dead
spot waiting to strand him?

        The second problem has to do with the clutch.  It is very hard
to get the thing in second gear without grinding it.  You have to be
very careful to match the rpm and pull it slowly.  Now the gearbox was
just rebuilt (or replaced) by the dealer, so I assume it is in pretty
good shape.  It seems to me the clutch (also new) is not fully
disengaging.  Further, the clutch comes to rest about half the distance
from the floor boards as the brake and begins to engage almost
immediately off the floor boards.  I haven't ever been in a car where
the brake and clutch aren't pretty even when at rest.  But, the dealer
assures my friend that the clutch is operating properly.  They say the
car is known for this problem.  I don't buy it.  What do you think?

woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu