Re: 10 year Maximum Age for Stock Class (was Reclassing)

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 10 year Maximum Age for Stock Class (was Reclassing)
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 11:38:27 -0400 (EDT)
Alan Dahl wrote...
> The problem that folks are trying to solve is that these days it takes
> $5000+ to prep a car to run in Stock category at a National level, once
> you've bought the expensive double-adjustable shocks, exhaust, brake
> pads and all the other things that have to be changed. Plus when you are
> done you end up with a car that's not exactly "stock" and may even be
> something you wouldn't ever want to drive on the street.

   So let me get this straight; the problem is that buying an older, say
$5K, car like mine, and spending $5K to prep it ( which is triple the
required budget as Randy Noll pointed out ) is too expensive.

   And the fix is to require me to buy a $20K to $50K car and spend $1K on
preparation?

   That makes sense.

   It seems to me the problem is that people buy expensive new cars, and
then realize they don't have enough left to prepare it.  How about we
enact a minimum age of 10 years for Stock?  Then the "new car" people
won't be tempted to waste their money on expensive new cars, and will be
able to afford whatever shocks they want.

> Thus it becomes clear that if a sunset rule for Stock was ever enacted
> it would have to include the creation of a Street Touring-like class for
> older vehicles that would slot between Stock and Street Prepared. So
> basically we'd have a "Showroom Stock" class with no mods allowed for
> new cars and a "Street" class for older cars that allows some more
> leeway in preparation.

   Oh, I see.  I don't have to buy an expensive new car, I can just spend
another however many thousand on preparation for another class, that'll
leave my car even less desirable to drive on the street.

--
 D a v i d "hey, is that an ox with a hole in it?" H i l l m a n
 hillman@planet-torque.com