Re: 10 year Maximum Age for Stock Class (was Reclassing)

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 10 year Maximum Age for Stock Class (was Reclassing)
From: "Nichols, Lee" <Lee.Nichols@morpho.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 11:12:21 -0700
Stefanv@aol.com said it well.
"this suggestion simply FEELS like elitism and exclusionism.  It feels that
way, whether it is or not.  You don't like me playing at your country club,
make a rule that makes it near impossible for me to do so."

After reading all the posts in digest #853, I see no indication that what he
said ISN'T true.  The 7/10 Sunset Stock rule is consistently touted
throughout as fixing a perceived problem at National events.  National
events...

May I ask some questions?
(1) How many people consistently participate in Solo II at a regional level?
(2) How many people consistently participate in Solo II at a national level?

If the answer to #1 is much larger than the answer to #2, then it would
appear that a minority (apparently a somewhat wealthier one) is attempting
to rewrite rules in a completely self-serving way, disregarding the majority
of the members.  The tone of several of the posts was "if you want to be
competitive, then buy a new car" and "people who want to compete will be
buying new cars anyway, so why not mandate it?"  While I have no problems
fixing a real problem (and I am somewhat confused by what is and isn't
allowed in the Stock class, as it seems somewhat random and not conducive to
keeping costs down) I don't understand why the age of the car has anything
to do with what you're allowed to do to it.  Most of the people who are
supporting the "sunset" proposal don't seem to own/compete in anything that
is 10+ years old.  Their vehicles won't directly be affected by this
proposal.

I understood the SCCA, and by extension local autocross clubs, to be
examples of "grassroots" motorsports.  The country club attitude a previous
poster mentioned seems to be in direct conflict with that.  What drives the
SCCA & SoloII?  Is it the competitors who drive SuperStock cars in Nationals
or is it everyone driving in a Stock class throughout the  country?  How my
$6500 12 year old ES regional car inconveniences a $40,000 2002 SS National
car is confusing to me.  Feel free to explain it to me...I mean, if I'm
still allowed to participate.  With my car being old and cheap and not used
for National competition, I'm not sure my opinion carries any weight.

?????

Lee Nichols
lee.nichols@morpho.com