Re: 10 year Maximum Age for Stock Class

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 10 year Maximum Age for Stock Class
From: "Paul Andrews" <emosound@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 11:38:39 -0400
Well said, Randy.
If any rule like this goes into effect, the end result will be lower
participation, especially at the regional level.  Regions might run the
"old" rules to accommodate "outdated" cars.  Then you'd have radically
different classing between local and National events.
WHAT'S THE POINT?!?
Same thing with the stock-shock rule movement.  Right now, I can go buy
a set of regionally competitive SA Konis for my 94 Miata for under $500,
rather than run the shitty stock shocks.  Not to mention, better shocks
prevent rollovers!!!  If required to run the stock shocks, I'd either
have to put out the money to move to SP (money I don't have) or find
another club to play with.
Even if I go buy the most expensive shocks I can find, it's way cheaper
than a whole brand-new car.
Yes, the current rules aren't perfect, they let people spend money to
win, but unless the SCCA wants to get into the business of selling Spec
solo cars, I suggest letting this nonsense go.
-Paul Andrews

Randy Noll <rnoll98@yahoo.com> wrote:
Set that 10-year rule into effect and you'll have more people fired up
than you would if you put the Z06 on the exclusion list. 53 drivers
signed up for last year's CS nationals. All but 8 would not be invited
back this year if they didn't buy a new car. Every one of them would
not be invited in 2003. You would outright kill the stock class that
arguably has the most consistent, and competitive (0.904 seconds
separated the top 14 last year) subscription rate... this is one of
many classes that would be effected...

...and the class is growing as we speak :)

If you can afford a new car, you can afford to buy two, three, or four
'85 CRXs, '91 MR2s, '89 Camaros, or '89 Civic Sis for parts. All won
nationals last year, all are quite common. Don't make me buy a more
expensive car because you think mine's too old.

Scared some guy's old POS that he built in his garage over 6 months,
out of three parts cars, for under $10k is gonna make your $40k car
look bad?
:)
Randy N