Re: Video camera for autox?

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Subject: Re: Video camera for autox?
From: Woody Hair <woodym3@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 21:10:34 -0400
I bought a Sony TRV25 Handycam (regular 8 mm) about 6 months ago for
$499.  It has the Image Stabilization and 2.5 swing out screen.  I have
it mounted on a bar that runs between the "B" pillars on an '88 M3.  I
recently bought a wide angle adapter ($20) that adds to the view and
makes it look like you're going faster, which is of prime importance.
The 2.5 screen is handy for lining up the camera to the view you want,
as well as later viewing before you can get to a TV.  Despite my stock
suspension and the image stabilization, the picture is quite jumpy on
most courses/tracks.  I've been meaning to try it with the I.S. turned
off, but keep forgetting.  With the w/a adapter you can only see the
driver (and passenger) helmets when they are tilted for a turn.  The
upper half of the steering wheel is visable.  This is with the camera
mounted in the center of the car and aimed straight ahead.  On the track
it's very simple to turn the camera 180 degrees for a neat view of
everyone catching me from behind.
Woody Hair