Re: Video camera for autox?

Subject: Re: Video camera for autox?
From: Bruce Haden <bhaden@ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 14:55:51 -0700
At 04:26 PM 7/6/99 -0500, Eric Linnhoff wrote:
>>My camera is bolted down VERY solidly and vibration is no problem at
>all
>>even in a very stiff prepared Pinto. My mount is bolted to the roll
>cage on
>>a welded in bracket. If the camera can't wiggle your pictures will be
>rock
>>steady.
>======================
>Of course in a Prepared car if the camera is rock steady that means that
>the background will be completely unsteady.  ;^)

Actually, the quality of the pictures is great. I got some great stuff from
the
San Diego National Tour. That is, whem I remembered to turn on the camera!!
My biggest problem is to set the contrast so I can see the face of the gauges
inside the car against the bright outside background. The camera is an old
(15 years?) GE full size VHS model. I set it on wide angle and its mounted
between the seats about a foot behind my shoulder, at head level. Yes, the
remote mic is a good idea, It gives much better sound effects than the mic
on the camera. Use a small lapel mic enclosed in a 2 inch ball of soft
foam taped loosely to the roll bar or dash.
        One interesting thing from the minimal footage I got was that my
co-driver and I have totally different styles, mine smooth and calculated,
his violent and forceful, yet our times were within a tenth of each other.
Of course he owned the car before me so that helped.