Re: Video camera for autox?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Video camera for autox?
From: John Eagan <johneagan@toltbbs.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 18:21:56 -0700
> How much does a 2.5" viewpanel help?  I thought it might be nicer to watch
> the run with that, but I dunno if you have sunlight problems you don't
> have with a viewfinder or something...

I just bought a camcorder for autocross purposes mostly. I didn't get
one with a LCD. On the other hand, I went up to Waterford Hills recently
to watch friends run in ITC. Scott Jasmund brought his cancorder along
to mount in the back of the Zen Racing rental Civic he was running.

Well after a session was over it dawned on him that he'd forgotten to
stop the tape and he had probably 20 minutes of looking out the
windshield in the paddock. He climbed in the back of Ye Olde squareback
Civic DX to find the end of the session to cue up the tape for the next
time out. This was made much easier by having the LCD on there, and not
only that, but I was able to lean in the back of the car and get a
fairly decent view of part of the session.

Now, obviously, the convenience of viewing with the camcorder still
mounted in the car was due to the nature of the car it was mounted in,
but you might find yourself able to rewind and review a run between runs
a little better if you have that kind of display. Plus, a couple of
people can view at once, which would have its uses. Something to
consider, perhaps.

JLE