Re: Cooling

To: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Subject: Re: Cooling
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:01:50 -0500
> I was of the same impression as you about the position of the fan in the
>shroud, but was informed by a number of folks that were in the know that
>it was better to put the fan in the shroud so that the air exiting the
>fan could flair out, rather than be pushed farther down the shroud.  This
>seems to make sence because there is a large amount of difference on an
>electric fan whether it is pushing or pulling.  Putting the fan in the
>center of the shroud puts the fan in both a push and pull mode, which
>will cut down on the amount of air the fan passes.  Is anyone else familiar
>with the effect?

Very well could be, Pat. Remember I'm just a retreaded trumpet player
that reads a lot. It's pretty obvious that it needs to be somewhere in
the vicinity of the shroud opening so that it draws air through the
entire radiator surface. I'd guess this airflow created by the fan is
only an issue when not moving or going slow enough so that there's no
significant airflow through the radiator. It'll be interesting to see if
I have to add a fan to the 510 just for autocross.

Airflow through the engine compartment can help cooling, too. On the 510
there's a sheet metal pan that basically fills the gage between the
bottom edge of the rad support and the forward edge of the front cross
member. This forces the air that come in through the radiator to flow
back across the motor before exiting below the car. Nissan said to make
sure it's in place and I've personally seen a measurable difference in
water temp with and without it.

I find that sort of thing interesting,. Yes, I guess I am a techno/info
geek! ;>)

later

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)