Re: Cooling

To: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: Cooling
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:35:47 -0500
>One of the problems with the stock shroud is that it is way off center no
>doubt due to the fact that the fan is off centered and so when I center my
>electric fan the shroud gets in the way. Oh well.

You need to center the fan, electrical or mechanical, in the center of
the shroud opening fore and aft, otherwise it's still only pulling air
through the portion of the rad directly in front of the fan. Seems like
this would be very hard to do with most stock shrouds and an aftermarket
electric fan. That's why there are so many thicknesses of fan spacers
available. You use a spacer that puts the plane of the fan blades as
close to the middle of the shroud opening as possible.

>The Scirocco rad seems to be the rad to use in a variety of cars but the
>problem w/the roadster is the limited width. I was given a 240 rad and
>someone else gave me a used Scirocco rad but I had no luck trying to mount
>them as there is too much in the way and they are way too wide.

I wasn't suggesting that unit as a direct replacement for the roadster,
more as an example. Fortunately for me, it works in a 510 almost as
though it was designed for the car. A properly rebuilt stock unit,
probably with an ungraded core should work very well. If you want,
measure the OEM unit and dig through the listing in the Jegs and Summitt
catalogs for alternatives. You can request these from the respective
website. Excellent sources of info, and they're free.

>How do flex fans work out? Anybody try using them?

I've used them in the 510s for years, the only problem being that the
first one I bought had fiberglas blades which disintegrated over time,
throwing pieces all over the place. Fortunately never while I was leaning
into the engine compartment. <grin> On the later, aluminum bladed flex
fans, I often have to trim the blade to clear the shroud, taking care to
trim the same amount off of each blade so I didn't unbalance the fan too
much.

For the autocross only car I'm working on right now I'm not even using a
fan initially as I want to get the engine, and oil, to operating temp
quickly before a run. I may need to add the fan as it gets hotter later
into the year.

Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)