Re: Cooling

To: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Subject: Re: Cooling
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 13:01:14 -0500
> >One of the problems with the stock shroud is that it is way off center no
> >doubt due to the fact that the fan is off centered and so when I center my
> >electric fan the shroud gets in the way. Oh well.
>
> You need to center the fan, electrical or mechanical, in the center of
> the shroud opening fore and aft, otherwise it's still only pulling air
> through the portion of the rad directly in front of the fan. Seems like
> this would be very hard to do with most stock shrouds and an aftermarket
> electric fan. That's why there are so many thicknesses of fan spacers
> available. You use a spacer that puts the plane of the fan blades as
> close to the middle of the shroud opening as possible.

Ronnie,

  I was of the same impression as you about the position of the fan in the
shroud, but was informed by a number of folks that were in the know that
it was better to put the fan in the shroud so that the air exiting the
fan could flair out, rather than be pushed farther down the shroud.  This
seems to make sence because there is a large amount of difference on an
electric fan whether it is pushing or pulling.  Putting the fan in the
center of the shroud puts the fan in both a push and pull mode, which
will cut down on the amount of air the fan passes.  Is anyone else familiar
with the effect?

I don't pretend to be an expert on this, but it seems to make sence to me!

Peace,
Pat

<snip>

--

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner