RE: Proposal for SP cars to compete in P ???

To: Eric Salem <eric@mail.brown911.com>
Subject: RE: Proposal for SP cars to compete in P ???
From: Mark Sirota <mark@sirota.org>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 16:40:32 -0400
--On 10/8/2001 9:39 PM -0500 Eric Salem wrote:
> I'm with Randy on this. Brown Car and I went from ASP to FP because I
> couldn't afford the OEM 911 engine parts. Why spend more money for a
> slower motor?

It's not immediately obvious to me that Prepared motors are inherently
faster than Street Prepared motors.

In SP, you have free intake, exhaust, and ignition with stock internals.
So you are limited by the amount of air that can flow through the heads.

In Prepared, you have fairly restrictive intake with fairly free internals.
So you are limited by the amount of air that can flow through the intake
system.

Different approaches to limiting grenade motors, but neither is necessarily
better.  Prepared is probably cheaper on average, though...

> Plus, why would any sane committee create a class for stock motors with
> $8k suspensions? SP was probably a good idea in it's day. That was many,
> many days ago.
> $8k comes from the price of a full-house set of Penske shocks, altered
> to be SP legal, plus shock dyno time and development of same.

And those same $8K shocks are legal in every other preparation category,
and just as helpful.  Not an SP phenomenon.

> Is it really fair to ask the kid who dropped an Acura 'R' motor into his
> othersise stock civic to run with the D Mod cars?

That's why chapters 13-16 and Appendix A are not mandatory.  The only
mandatory sections of the rules are those called out in section 1.1.
Regions should be encouraged to bend any other rules to accomodate their
needs, including to increase retention.

Mark