Re: KYB AGX shocks

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: KYB AGX shocks
From: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 16:25:05 -0400
At 09:05 PM 10/9/01, you wrote:

>I like adjustables for a dual purpose car, but don't want to spend a
>fortune.  KYB AGX shocks seem to be the most reasonably priced ones out
>there.

Ron,

Shocks are pretty much a "get what you pay for" kind of deal.  I deal with
all the names you'd expect (Tokico, KYB, Koni, Sachs, etc.).  We've also
tried pretty much every shock on multiple cars.  I've had 4 different ones
on my '91 Camaro for instance.

The AGX's aren't exactly what an autoxer would be after.  Matter of fact, a
few of my customers have tried them, and no longer run them.  We've found
on the lower settings the AGX's lack damping, but where turned up, they
become rather harsh.  They would be okay if there is nothing else out
there, but luckily for you, there is plenty out there.

I'd recommend sticking with Tokico Illumina's, or Koni's (Sport and
Special's available).  Both work very, very well on Hondas.  When we
switched an Eclipse from AGX's, to Illumina's, it made a BIG
difference.  The Illumina's on the #2 (of 5) setting damped the car fine
for street use.  The AGX's needed to pretty much be on #4 ( of 4) to damp
the car.  But, on that kind of setting, things like railroad tracks,
expansion joints and the like were teeth rattling.

As for Tokico v. Koni:  You get a much bigger change in damping through the
range of a Tokico.  Basically, Koni's are more focused on a damping range,
the Tokico covers a bigger range.  Turn a Tokico down, and you get what is
essentially a non-worn out stock shock.  Turn it up, and you get a suitable
shock for autox, or lighter lowering springs.

Let me know if I can be of any help to you.  Feel free to contact me with
any questions.  Don't want to be accused of spamming.  :-D

Sam Strano Jr.
Strano Performance Parts
www.stranoparts.com
800-729-1831 orders/price info.