Re: Proposal for SP cars to compete in P ???

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Proposal for SP cars to compete in P ???
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 07:47:37 -0500
Eric Salem wrote:

>I thought SP was a blast, but I'd suggest most motor's can be built for
>less money with non-OEM parts than with OEM items. (With the exception
>of very high volume cars.)

Most "normally expendable" parts in an engine - rings, valve stem seals,
bearings, valves - can legally be replaced by parts from sources other than the
manufacturer, even in Stock, as long as the replacement parts are OEM
replacement (not high performance) items.

>$8k comes from the price of a full-house set of Penske shocks, altered
>to be SP legal, plus shock dyno time and development of same.

Given that you can do exactly the same thing in Stock, I see no justification
for blaming the SP rules for the situation.

>I like SP. But the rules make some SP classes more expensive that
>classes that should cost more.

Well, I'd say that a typical ASP car costs more than, say, a typical CP car (my
ASP car doesn't, but it's one o' them evil Lotuses everyone's so scared of). If
that's what you're referring to, there's no effective way to change that with
rules legislation. If you choose to autox a Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, Mercedes,
etc., one of the things you can't escape is that a lot of the parts you'll need
are pretty darn expensive.

>SM is a good start. But couldn't we break it down to sub-groups as it
>grows?

Acording to information I've seen on the SM list, the SEB's current philosophy
is to see if SM can grow enough to support itself as a prep Category. If this
occurs (it already is starting with SM2), then there will be multiple classes
within SM.

> Besides clear taillight lenses are worth about 40 HP. :)

No, that's the coffee can exhausts.

;<)

Jay