Re: Proposal for SP cars to compete in P ???

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Proposal for SP cars to compete in P ???
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 22:14:17 -0500
Eric Salem writes:

>I'm with Randy on this. Brown Car and I went from ASP to FP because I
>couldn't afford the OEM 911 engine parts. Why spend more money for a
>slower motor?

Maybe because you want to run in SP. Lots of us do. Lots of engines are less
expensive to build in SP-legal form than Porsches.

>Plus, why would any sane committee create a class for stock motors with
>$8k suspensions?

Where did you get the "stock motor" and "$8k suspension" ideas? SP allows _any_
(NA) induction and exhaust system, blueprinting and overboring, but pretty
severely restricts suspension mods.

>SP was probably a good idea in it's day.

Still is. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that it's not popular.
Look at the numbers before you start announcing its demise.

>In my youth the European car guys comment to 'vette drivers was, "yah
>you're faster in a straight line, but wait till there's a corner."

I knew some European cars from the late '60s that gave up nothing to most
'Murican iron in a straight line. And a number of those cars had had
non-original engines dropped into them by their owners.

>The SP
>formula doesn't work in this era.

That's a completely unsupported statement. And I claim it's flat wrong.

>We as a club need to reach out to the next generation of car nuts, they
>don't just change suspensions, they change motors or cams or intake
>manifolds, body kits, whatever.

Where did you get the idea that this didn't happen in the 60s and 70s? I drove
a BMW with an engine transplant in 1973. That car would _still_ be illegal in
SP. So what? Lots of cars of that era got fender flares, complete replacement
suspensions, and all sorts of other mods that have never been legal in SP. And
they were driven on the street, too.

>Is it really fair to ask the kid who
>dropped an Acura 'R' motor into his othersise stock civic to run with
>the D Mod cars?

Uhh, there's this class called "Street Modified" made to order for that guy.
Most of the guys who do motor swaps aren't serious candidates for our sport
anyway. They weren't in the 70s, and they aren't now. News flash: this is _not_
a new phenomenon. The "new" generation did _not_ discover engine swaps. Or
fender flares. Or tack-on "aerodynamic" aids. But, hey! Maybe they _did_
discover clear taillight lenses. I'll give 'em that much.
;<)

> He's not going to Nats, he just wants to play on Sunday
>afternoon.

Then make a Regional class for him.

Jay