RE: Proposal for SP cars to compete in P ???

To: "'Jay Mitchell'" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Proposal for SP cars to compete in P ???
From: "Eric Salem" <eric@mail.brown911.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 23:01:59 -0500
Jay has some good points, I'll clearify where my point wasn't clear.

<<
Maybe because you want to run in SP. Lots of us do. Lots of engines are
less expensive to build in SP-legal form than Porsches.

I thought SP was a blast, but I'd suggest most motor's can be built for
less money with non-OEM parts than with OEM items. (With the exception
of very high volume cars.)

<<
>Plus, why would any sane committee create a class for stock motors with

>$8k suspensions?

Where did you get the "stock motor" and "$8k suspension" ideas? SP
allows _any_ (NA) induction and exhaust system, blueprinting and
overboring, but pretty severely restricts suspension mods.

$8k comes from the price of a full-house set of Penske shocks, altered
to be SP legal, plus shock dyno time and development of same.

<<
>SP was probably a good idea in it's day.

Still is. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that it's not
popular. Look at the numbers before you start announcing its demise.

I like SP. But the rules make some SP classes more expensive that
classes that should cost more.

<<
That's a completely unsupported statement. And I claim it's flat wrong.

America's a great place, you've got one opinion and I've got another.

Uhh, there's this class called "Street Modified" made to order for that
guy. Most of the guys who do motor swaps aren't serious candidates for
our sport anyway. They weren't in the 70s, and they aren't now. News
flash: this is _not_ a new phenomenon. The "new" generation did _not_
discover engine swaps. Or fender flares. Or tack-on "aerodynamic" aids.
But, hey! Maybe they _did_ discover clear taillight lenses. I'll give
'em that much.
;<)

SM is a good start. But couldn't we break it down to sub-groups as it
grows? Besides clear taillight lenses are worth about 40 HP. :)