Re: Proposal for SP cars to compete in P

To: autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Proposal for SP cars to compete in P
From: "Burns, James B." <James.Burns@jhuapl.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 10:05:04 -0400
It sounds to me as if this is parallel to what was done in SCCA club road
racing.  The Production classes were undersubscribed and consisted mostly of
old British cars.  The Prod classes allow different suspension pickup
points, and highly modified high compression motors (which blow up fairly
regularly).  A few years ago they started a limited prep formula which
classed newer cars in Prod but required them to have motors that were closer
to Improved Touring spec, stock suspension pickup points, allowed stock fuel
injection, etc.  It has worked well, and the Prod classes are now better
subscribed and can be somewhat cheaper to run in too.  I even know a few
people who race one car in both IT and Prod in a single race weekend.  They
just bolt on some racing slicks for the Prod race and use DOT tires for IT.
And since IT is a regional-only class, it allows more people to compete in
national events.

I really don't see a need for it in Solo2 though.  If the car is prepped to
the SP rules, then why not just run it in SP?  Unless, as someone suggested,
SP will be going away.

Brad Burns