RE: SP rules on catalytic converters

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: SP rules on catalytic converters
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 15:42:57 -0500
Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com> wrote:

>At 10:55 AM 3/22/99 -0600, Mohler, Jeff wrote:
     ---

>>   But once you get it in a straight line..instant-on torque.  You dont
>>get that in a turbo car at 8.x:1 compression and tons of lag.
>>
>>   Parity.  You cant turn, I cant instantly GO.

>But, I do have to argue that a turbo car can't go as well out of a corner
>as a NA car.  Having driven an RX7tt a few times I find it rock out of
>corners every bit as well as the Camaro, if not better in a lot of cases.

Well, it really depends on the situation, and on the nature of the car in
question. For me, lag isn't normally an issue, but it IS there.

Case in point: The turnaround in Ft Myers. When I did it right, I was coming out
of that slalom, tuning in on that nice early apex, and bording the throttle
pretty well simultanious with turn-in. (Hee hee, I LOVE AWD :) However, I still
wasn't making full power until about halfway through the turn.

The lag wasn't _bad_, but it was there - and I'm running the "small" turbo.

I've been on other courses where the car got slowed way down in a real tight
section, and I've stomped on the gas and... nothing. Next time through, that's a
downshift spot. (Ick) A Supra with its bigger displacement probably doesn't
suffer quite so badly in the same situation.

A Talon off boost is 3300lbs of car with a 2.0l motor and a BIG obstruction in
the intake path. :(

My old 6.6l Trans Am was the exact opposite. All the torque one could ever use,
right under your right foot.

Anyway, all this stuff tends to balance out in the end. We're a little lighter
and we're not traction limited in a straight line, but life sucks off-boost, we
can't use anywhere near as much tire, and we're down a bucket of power and
especially low-end torque. (even if boost controllers were allowed).

A built-to-the-max Talon vs a built-to-the-max Camarobird is a reasonably good
match, with the Camarobird having a distinct advantage most of the time.
(exception being loose or slippery surfaces) A Talon with a boost controller...
picks up a little bit of the power defecit, makes it a little more even, but not
enough to tip it over the top.

It seems though, that EVERYBODY agrees that the Supra is in the wrong spot, and
while I won't be so bold as to think that my "allow boost controllers and
reclass as necessary" idea is sold, it certainly seems that nobody thinks that
the proposed rule re: exhausts on SP turbo cars is a good idea.

I wonder if the SEB is taking note of that?

DG