RE: SP rules on catalytic converters

To: "'Sam Strano'" <strano@stranoparts.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: SP rules on catalytic converters
From: "Mohler, Jeff" <jeff.mohler@wilcom.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 12:02:19 -0700
> Oh, that I didn't know.  I can see why.  It's something that there is no
> equivilent for on a normally aspirated engine.  If it does nothing and was
> outlawed then who cares?  People tend only to get upset when it effect
> them.  Will it help as much as more boost, well no.
> I think it comes do to an equality thing in terms of mods.  See the 'ol
> Neon motor mount, Subframe connector arguments to see how serious SCCA is
> about NOT letting cars get different things.  I could use connectors and
> would if they were legal, so could you if you wanted too (if they were
> legal).  Sure they wouldn't help you, but if they changed the rule
> everyone
> could do it.  They thing with the turbo stuff is that *only* turbo cars
> can
> benefit.  There is no equal on a non-turbo.
        ---

        True, but if a vehicle has a BOV thats in adequate, then an upgrade
should be allowed.

        The fact is, that there is no non-turbo equal to KILL response like
a badly designed (or lack of) BOV.

        A BOV doesnt add power, it assists in the instant-on power an N/A
has, but a turbo does not.

        Its much more a performance fine-tuner to the stock characteristics
of the design, a lot like an upgraded intercooler is.