Re: SP rules on catalytic converters

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SP rules on catalytic converters
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 12:40:03 -0800
Seems like, if "intercoolers are unrestricted" in SP as stated (OK, 98 rule
book, 14.10.C, could be obsolete) then we'd better find one with a bypass
valve in it!

The principal benefit I would get (SVO) from a bypass valve would be
countering compressor surge that can/does occur when using a
bigger-than-stock intercooler (on the SVO the stock one is literally half
the size the data suggests it should be).  There is no turbo lag on this
car, in part due to the undersized intercooler and (relatively) short intake
tract.

The intercooler on this car, and likely on other turbocars, is the biggest
single power restriction on the intake side.  But bigger can cause
compressor surge, which the bypass valve can deal with.

Richard Nichols
rnichol1@san.rr.com
San Diego, CA