Re: IN RE: Mechanical Failures

To: <S800Racer@aol.com>, <Tombread@aol.com>, <WSpohn4@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: IN RE: Mechanical Failures
From: "Brett Johnson" <356drb@indy.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:47:03 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: <S800Racer@aol.com>
>     Presumably the advantage to widening the body would be to widen the
track  width.  Since the PCS spells out the legal track width, I have to
question  whether the story is true.  Winners get checked the most and it
would doesn't  seem to make much sense to go to the effort of sectioning the
body when the  advantage would be nullified the first time an inspector
stretched a tape  measure across the wheels.

Doug,

I know of at least one 356 Porsche where this was done at the rear.  At some
point wider (safer?) wheels and/or tires were permitted, but certain cars
like 356 Porsches have virtually no room due to fenders which partially
cover the wheels.  So, before flared fenders were allowed, I guess you had
to be more subtle, in the Smokey Yunick Chevelle sort of way.

Brett Johnson