Re: Successful passing, safety, et al.

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Successful passing, safety, et al.
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:43:51 -0700 (MST)
Passing?  Mirrors?  Gosh, interesting.  As some of you may recall, here in
Salt Lake we don't have a real race track yet, so the club I am with holds
races out on the concrete slab at the Wendover airport ( www.team.net/ivr )
We can't cheat, because we don't have any rules.  If you convince the tech
inspector the wheels won't fall off, you can run.  We've had all sorts of
interesting cars show up, like Vipers, various Cobra replicas (they usually
just do the Touring sessions), a three rotor RX-7 hillclimb car and some
genuine, true to the era vintage racers.

At our final event of the season, we only had something like three qualified
drivers for the wheel to wheel stuff, so we basically just had all the practice
we could stand.  I was testing out a Spitfire autocross car I had bought some
years ago, but had never run.  It needs some work, like mirrors, for instance!

One of the other cars there was a Porsche 912, who often runs with RMVR.  Our
lap times were pretty close, he had the power, but I had the handling.  The
classic scenario - he'd be way ahead of me at the end of the long straight,
I'd be right on his tail going into Conair Corner, the tightest turn on the
course, which leads onto the straight.  And I could outbrake him most times,
so I would occasionally be in front as we started down the straight.  Not
having any mirrors at all, I had to be real careful about not making any
stupid moves, knowing he was right back there ready to pass.  I'll likely be
getting a big Wink mirror RealSoonNow!

mjb.