Re: IN RE: Mechanical Failures

To: WSpohn4@aol.com, PaceCars@aol.com, carlynneracing@home.com,
Subject: Re: IN RE: Mechanical Failures
From: Tombread@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 17:43:31 EST
In a message dated 11/28/00 5:04:10 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
WSpohn4@aol.com writes:

> At CVAR we classify cars by the old SCCA regs,
> > but cars built outside the SCCA regs (but to other period regs like FIA
> or
> > RAC) are allowed to run but are classified where we think is appropriate.

In the late 60s early 70s we tried to follow the GCR while lookin for legal
ways to gain an advantage.  I think most of us were afraid of being protested
because there were a lot of protests for mundane technical infractions-- the
catch can not properly secured, an exhaust pipe that didn't properly exit
behind the driver.  On the other hand, I raced against a fellow, a national
champion, who reportedly had widened the body on his car by sectioning it,
this before fender flares were allowed; he had the resources to do this and
his reputation demanded that he win.  I would not want to think this story
true as it diminishes his record in my eyes.  In any case, I thought the GCR
was The Word.  Generally one looked for an advantage not explicitly
proscribed by the GCR, rather than ways to cheat and get away with it.

We looked at cheating by others as something nasty, for kids who didn't know
any better, not something the right sort of drivers would do.  All bets were
off in pro racing, of course, and though cheating was still a punk thing to
do, on a level playing field successful cheating became  both expected and
challenging, the best cheating often combining imagination with humor.

All of this said,  the illegal mods or 21st century state of the art go fast
goodies may put a vintage machine at the head of the pack, but the driver
knows he doesn't belong there.

Tom Butters
The Greens Fork Group
Creative Communications Services