Re: IN RE: Mechanical Failures

To: brian@uunet.ca, vintage-race@autox.team.net, agallo@pcfl.net
Subject: Re: IN RE: Mechanical Failures
From: S800Racer@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 15:21:03 EST
In a message dated 11/30/00 8:36:06 AM, brian@uunet.ca writes:

<< Anyway, correct me if I am wrong -- a readily available Weber DCOE
>is probably cheaper to acquire than a Moss newly manufactured SU
>setup.  And period correct for almost anything.  So I like VARAC's
>approach to use of it... >>

    Most of the time I agree with the postings that Mr. Evans puts on the
list but I have to disagree with the above.
    Dropping the 215 cu. in. V8 in the Sprite is just as period correct
though isn't it?  It doesn't fit any legitimate configuration where the car
could have legally raced that way, but since the car and the engine were both
available at the same time, it's just as period correct as the Weber DCOE's
on cars that were not allowed to run the Webers in that period.
    Weber DCOE's are not "period correct for almost anything" and restriction
of the intake/carburetion has a lot to do with the performance of the motor.
When cars that were originally restricted to the rather small carburetor that
the model was equipped with is now allowed to bolt on a much larger
carburetor, they have more hp.  It's quite simple and not at all period
correct.
    While VARAC & others have every right to run their classes as they wish,
I prefer more restrictive carburetor rules as per the SCCA PCS
specifications.  It helps to maintain some balance between various cars
within the same class.
    Bigger carbs are not a "safety item" and I don't have sympathy with the
argument that Webers are cheaper or easier to find since carbs generally do
not wear out and require replacement.

    Doug Meis.