Re: IN RE: Mechanical Failures

To: Tombread@aol.com, WSpohn4@aol.com, PaceCars@aol.com,
Subject: Re: IN RE: Mechanical Failures
From: S800Racer@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:31:09 EST
In a message dated 11/28/00 5:53:40 PM, Tombread@aol.com writes:

<< On the other hand, I raced against a fellow, a national
champion, who reportedly had widened the body on his car by sectioning it,
this before fender flares were allowed; he had the resources to do this and
his reputation demanded that he win.  I would not want to think this story
true as it diminishes his record in my eyes. >>

    Presumably the advantage to widening the body would be to widen the track
width.  Since the PCS spells out the legal track width, I have to question
whether the story is true.  Winners get checked the most and it would doesn't
seem to make much sense to go to the effort of sectioning the body when the
advantage would be nullified the first time an inspector stretched a tape
measure across the wheels.