Re: IN RE: Mechanical Failures

To: carlynneracing@home.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net, WATTSIT2ME@aol.com
Subject: Re: IN RE: Mechanical Failures
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:38:00 EST
In a message dated 28/11/00 9:41:09 AM Pacific Standard Time,
carlynneracing@home.com writes:

> Dean is not saying that vintage race cars should appear as they did the day
> they rolled off the showroom floor. Rather, (as an example), stuffing a 260

Interesting issue. I agree that you can't make a new Tiger, or stick a V8
into whatever you like and call it a vintage race car. But there are a few
cars that were originally modified, if not when new, then early in their
lives.

I have a friend that owned an AC Ace that had a Ford V8 stuck into it. He
always figured it might have been a prototype done by Shelby, but was never
able to prove it (much to his financial detriment, I am sure). It was done so
early in it's life that they used a 260 cu.in. engine. He raced it on club
days at Westwood in the 70s.

Presumably that particular car would be allowed to run in vintage in that
configuration, but no one else would (or for that matter) should be allowed
to take an original AC and stick the same engine in just to go faster, and
expect to race in vintage. Have I got the gist of the rules correct?

If so, doesn't it mean that you might have a small industry (well maybe that
overstates it, but at least a tendency for) finding cars that were modified
in the old days, or maybe even (and I think of Ferraris here) manufacturing
history to suit you?

"For sale - MGTD that had a Corvette engine installed in 1958. It was rolled
up in a ball in 1959, mind you, but all you need is a good TD, the serial
number plate from my car, some racing pictures, and Bob's your uncle........"

Bill Spohn
(who might be on the cynical side, being a lawyer, but on the other hand.....)