Re: IN RE: Mechanical Failures

To: WSpohn4@aol.com, PaceCars@aol.com, carlynneracing@home.com,
Subject: Re: IN RE: Mechanical Failures
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 09:28:59 -0500
VARAC regs allow any period speed equipment, including aftermarket heads
and webers, so Al Pease's car would be fully legal under our existing
rules.   The other cars would be subject to individual, non-precedent
setting approval based on the merits of each case.  Probably, if they ran
that way in the period applicable to their class (the bugeye would have a
problem as that class ends at 1961, and the 215 olds wasn't around till the
mid '60s) and the car was in some way historically significant they would
have a good case and would be allowed.

Applying our rules to a case that was discussed yesterday, a Ginetta that
came with a 1500 pre-crossflow would be allowed to run a Lotus or Cosworth
twincam head, as that was an acceptable retrofit aftermarket speed
part.  We have allowed non Lotus Cortina's to run the Lotus head under this
rule.  Paradoxically, we did not allow the car in question to update the
suspension to Lotus Cortina (an
A-frame, or some such mod to the rear suspension).

Rule:  10.4 Appropriate "add-on" or "bolt-on" speed equipment of the
particular vehicle's time period is permitted, provided it was commercially
available for that vehicle. Examples: Abarth, Alexander, Aquaplane,
Cosworth, Derrington, Downton, Empi, Judson, Martin, Ram, Rudd, or
Speedwell. Other examples may be acceptable, subject to approval of the
VARAC Eligibility Committee.

So there you go.  VARAC rules are at http://www.varac.ca/rulepage2.html if
anyone is interested.

Cheers, Brian

At 04:59 PM 11/28/00 -0500, WSpohn4@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 28/11/00 1:52:23 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>PaceCars@aol.com writes:
>

> > At CVAR we classify cars by the old SCCA regs,
> > but cars built outside the SCCA regs (but to other period regs like FIA or
> > RAC) are allowed to run but are classified where we think is appropriate.
> > If
> > this old car showed up in original trim we would leave it in B-Production.
> > If
> > it were modified beyond period Series 1 Cobra (worm and sector) specs it
> > would be put in exhibitiion (a non-racing touring group).
> >

>The CASC regs were more liberal in the 60s. You may know of Al Pease' 3 main
>MGB that ran an HRG Derrington Head and twin Webers at Mosport in the mid
>60s.
>
>What would you do with that car?
>
>And if the AC Ace in question had a 283 Chev instead of a 260 Ford (which is
>sort of validated in retrospect by Shelby's activities), would it be allowed
>to run?
>
>And then there was Nick Gebbie's Bugeye that ran a 215 Olds motor at
>Westwood......
>
>Presumably they could all run, having been done more or less in period, and
>no more modern replica, even if an exact duplicate would be allowed to run?
>

>BIll S.

Brian Evans
Director, Strategic Accounts
UUNET, A WorldCom Company