Re: Our Sport

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Our Sport
From: "Robert Alder" <alder_rj@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 22:39:08 -0600
The discussions on "vintage racing spirit" (and points, sanctioning, etc.)
has been great! If I had to define vintage racing at this point, it would be
"Racing without ticking off your fellow competitors." This is no small task
considering you basically set out to beat them in the first place. Racing
is, by its nature, a very competitive thing. We all want to excel. We all
like to exercise our cars to their practical limits. We all want to win or
at least beat our equally competitive counterparts. It's the nature of the
sport.

Last year we (RMVR) also did some soul searching on many of these same
issues.  At the time the following examples were used to help put a finer
point on all the theoretical discussions. If, when reading these examples
you find yourself saying "This is all bunch of nonsense," then just maybe
you are part of the problem. Maybe vintage racing is not for you.

RACING--You're able to hold off a competitor for several laps during
practice and feel great about it. The competitor behind you may be less than
enthused.
VINTAGE RACING--After having someone in your mirrors for a couple of laps,
let them by to see if' you can stay with them. If not, you were holding them
up and were not really racing with a vintage spirit.

RACING--After dealing with some point-and-shoot idiot you can't get around,
you get frustrated, sulk and swear to get even. Or, worse yet, you attempt
an overly aggressive move to get by.
VINTAGE RACING--Have you ever considered just pulling through the hot pit to
change your position on the track? Or, if you feel you've been wronged, at
least go talk the other driver about it.

RACING--You were at fault in a minor contact incident and feel you should be
able to continue racing for the weekend.
VINTAGE RACING--If you are at fault in even a minor contact incident, you
should expect to be asked to trailer your car.

RACING--You are racing hard and approach a back-marker.  The idiot won't
give way and thus slows you up.
VINTAGE RACING--The back-marker has just as just as much right to drive the
line and be on the track as you do. The fact he/she is slower shouldn't
bother a good vintage racer.

RACING--You find yourself thinking, "If I just had one of those new titanium
do-hickies, I could go another. 1 sec. per lap faster."
VINTAGE RACING--Keep the damn car faithful to its period by keeping the
steel do-hicky. Go to the gym and loose 5 pounds. (P.S. It's probably
cheaper too!)

RACING--During a race, you and another competitor who are racing hard come
upon two slower cars who are having a race all their own. You effectively
use that slower traffic to shake your competitor.
VINTAGE RACING--You voluntarily ease up, find an easy place to pass, and
allow them to continue to have their race. Your fellow competitor also sees
what's going on and accommodates the situation, not taking advantage of your
generosity.

RACING--You've lock all four wheels attempting a deep, inside, late-braking
maneuver to get by someone.
VINTAGE RACING--Don't be surprise or ticked off if you get a furled black
flag (at the starter's stand) waved at you for being too aggressive.

RACING--You spin during practice on the first session of the weekend.
VINTAGE RACING--Unless you've had a mechanical problem, there's probably no
good excuse for pressing it this hard in vintage racing practice.

RACING--During the past season you've had a couple of off road excursions or
a couple of spins and attribute it to "that's racing."
VINTAGE RACING--Maybe it's time for you to think about your level of
aggressiveness, your skill level, your equipment, or all of the above.
You're probably beyond the vintage spirit.

Well, you get the idea. There are lots of examples. Increasingly I hear the
expression "That's racing" to explain many situations. It seems appropriate
when you hear yourself, or anyone else, explain away a problem with the
statement "That's racing" to stop and ask yourself, "But was it
vintage-racing?" As already pointed out, there is a difference and sometimes
we forget.