Re: Our Sport

To: Jim Hayes <hayes@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Our Sport
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 09:25:21 -0400
Actually, if someone thinks their not racing when they're on the track,
then what are they doing?  The difference between "showing", "touring",
"lapping" and racing is a huge piece of attitude that says I'm trying as
hard as I can to go as fast as I can, and to beat you to the finish line.

If you're not racing, then you make the track a more dangerous place.  For
me.  And I don't accept that.  So I hope that everyone who thinks that in
Vintage racing we just "show' the cars stays the hell off of the race track
when I'm on it, because I'm racing.

Just because I race "Corinthian"  doesn't mean I won't try to out brake
you, steal your line, draft you up the back straight and take the outside
line in the corner to get the inside line at the next, and a whole host of
things that will cause an accident if you think we're touring, or lapping ,
or showing.  If only because I scare the poop out of you when I take my
share of the track, or blow by you 30 MPH faster than you're going and you
haven't been watching your mirrors.  Or if you blindly take the "racing
line" when I got the apex before you even started to turn in.

Nothing pisses me off more than people - on the track or announcers - who
say or think that we're not racing.

Rant mode off, and when I say "you", I'm specifically NOT referring to
anyone who is interested enough in vintage racing to read this e-mail, so
don't take it personally, please!

Brian

At 09:07 PM 09/23/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Bravo, Simon!
>Guys, we are all out there racing, no matter what we say, and racing can
>have consequences. If we cannot accept that "incidents" occur, we should
>not be involved. Stupid drivers should not be tolerated, but the blame
>should be placed by a board of inquiry if it is serious enough to
>warrant it, not trial by hearsay.
>Or bring back duels, an honorable way to settle arguments.(bad, really
>bad joke...sorry)
>Jim
>
>Simon Favre wrote:
> >
> > My point was that publicly chastising a racing legend, no matter how dumb
> > his actions were, would make us sound even more like whining "rich boys"
> > who got their favorite toys bent.
>
>--
>Jim Hayes  Winchester, MA, USA
>hayes@mediaone.net         http://www.fotec.com/jim/jim.htm
>jeh@fotec.com              http://www.fotec.com/
>All generalizations, with the possible exception of this one, are false!

Brian Evans
Director, Global Sales
UUNET, An MCI WorldCom Company