Re: Our Sport

To: MRogers726@aol.com
Subject: Re: Our Sport
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 19:39:12 -0700
I can think of a few sports where the carbon-fiber-titanium-alloy crowd
hasn't made much impact. Try billiards. Sure, the sharks carry fancy cues.
The sharks have always carried fancy cues. They're still wood, though, and
the best tables are still slate. How about baseball? The high-tech bats
are illegal in professional play, and the gloves are still cowhide. The
shoes and uniforms might have improved a bit since Abner Doubleday, but
that's about it. Football, OTOH has been approached like D-Day in terms
of analysis, strategy, high tech safety equipment. They tell me real men
play Rugby... ;=)

Golf, tennis, and anything involving weaponry has clearly gone the route
you suggest. So what is your race car, a weapon of war to be made more
effective at defeating the enemy, or a relic to be dusted off and
exercised as it was, in the company of like-minded preservationists?