RE: Our Sport

To: "'vintage-race@autox.team.net'" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Our Sport
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 07:19:25 -0500

Mark Palmer wrote:

> First, the participants need to understand
> that there will be consequences  . . .

> Other drivers, or potential drivers, may get
> the impression that the rules don't matter,
> and they can drive aggressively & make
> mistakes with impunity.

> Secondly, I think people need to know
> that driver's committees will render
> their decisions in a fair manner.

> That doesn't necessarily mean that all
> driver sanctions should be made public.
> What I do mean is that de Cadenet's comments,
> and the AutoWeek article, were misleading and
> . . . "detrimental to the activity".

> I think the organizers ought to make it
> clear that they have levied appropriate
> punishments for all driver infractions,
> without naming names, and reporters should
> help convey that message.

With all due respect, I can't agree. I don't know of a single
competitive activity that has improved itself or its image with a system
of secret complaints and secret punishments. I'm not aware of any
serious governing body that would even try to function that way.

Nor am I aware of a single competitive sport that can successfully
control press coverage to the extent of preventing press commentary and
opinions about controversies that may occur.

How can other drivers learn that "there will be consequences" if the
consequences are not divulged?

How can people know that the "driver's committees will render their
decisions in a fair manner" if they don't know what the decisions are?

Jim Hill
Madison WI