Re: What is Vintage?

To: Jim Hill <jrhill1@facstaff.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: What is Vintage?
From: Jim Hayes <hayes@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 20:46:04 -0400
Jim Hill wrote:

> > Therefore: Vintage racing should have minimal rules and minimal
> > emphasis (and reward) for winning.
>
> I sure don't follow the logic on this. True, if there are no rules to
> break then there's no such thing as cheating, but there'd be no
> resemblance to vintage racing either . . . you might find yourself
> swamped with replicars, blown production engines, super-wide wheels,
> massive overbores/strokers &etc.

Read carefully: I didn't say no rules, I said <minimal> rules.

Clip

> Its been said that the easiest person to cheat in any contest is
> someone who's already cheating - because they're in no position to
> complain. I hope that's not what's going on here.
>
> Jim Hill
> Madison WI

If you make a literal interpretation of any vintage organization or
club's rules, it probably a good assumption of what is happening. I do
not believe it is mechanically possible or advisable from a safety
standpoint to race cars exactly like we did thirty or more years ago. I
have no desire to race with a pipe rollbar 2" below my head or replace
rod bearings every race weekend and mains every other race weekend.
It is possible to run cars that look the same but are safer and more
reliable. And yes, they are all faster, because of better tires, brake
pads/linings, lubricants and metallurgy.

Hell, folks, I think vintage racing ought to be limited to cars with a
period race history!
--
Jim Hayes  Winchester, MA, USA
hayes@mediaone.net         http://www.fotec.com/jim.htm